Thursday 2 August 2012

Jetty 2 Jetty

Sunday 15th of July saw another running of the Jetty 2 Jetty fun run. Lining up at the start of the 10km I had set my goal for myself that I thought may be out of reach at this time of year. I was aiming to run a sub 36min 10km which would break my pb of 36:20.

If only I had her record
The three weeks leading in had seen more of a focus on my run with a lot more speed sessions than I usually do. One of my key sessions was an 18km run broken up as 6km controlled (4:45min/km pace), 6km tempo (4:30 pace) and 6km race pace with 4 x 30sec intervals going straight back to race pace (3:40ish).

I though I would have a bit of fun with my race name instead of the usual first or last name to go on there so during the registration process, I mixed it up a bit. (As per the photo). I was hoping for some speed as per my namesake.

I got to the start line with plenty of time until the gun and had plenty of room. As the start time approached, we became crowded with a lot of runners who thought they were alot quicker than what they actually were. As soon as the gun went off, the sprinters took off and I was immediatley in about 15th. Over the next km the race started to sort itself out and I had settled into about tenth after covering the first km in about 3:20.

The two leaders had immediately shot off the front and were followed by another two runners. I was in the next pack of about six only 15 meters behind third and fourth. From there, we were running approx 3:30 pace and I was going a bit quicker than I had intended but was feeling comfortable so maintained my spot in the pack.

After the 5km mark, the pack had dropped to just three and I was sitting in behind the other two runners nicely as we made the turn and headed into a headwind for the final 5km. I sat in behind them and did not move from their tales. At the 7km mark, I was on pace to run a sub 35min however still had two tough climbs to go at about 8 and 9km mark. The downhill finish was a blessing after slogging it over the last two hills and they had cost me a little as I crossed the tape in a time of 35 min 35secs and sixth place overall. I had acheived my unexpected goal time and beaten my pb by 45secs.

2 comments:

  1. Hey mate, I hope you don't mind me reading your blogs but I am always interested to see the perspectives of others. Love hearing about what others are accomplishing, working towards and generally just doing to enjoy life. Look out Noosa huh! All things going well I will be toeing the line next to you again there (if you race AG) - looking forward to it. Sub- 2hrs though... sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey mate, yeah all good. How is the Kona prep going, by the looks of it you are smashing it. Yeah I love reading others blogs too, it gives a good idea of what others are doing, where to improve or ideas on training. I was going to touch base with you to ask if you could share some of your wisdom in training, you certainly are doing something right.
    Will be racing Opens at Noosa mate. You should change to it, just email them and post some times. You are guarenteed 3rd wave of the day and its great to rub shoulders with some of those quick blokes.

    ReplyDelete