Tuesday 22 October 2013

The off season

Well it has been such a long time since I have updated this so I thought I write what I have been up to over the off season prior to some races that I have raced at the start of the season.

After Ironman Melbourne I decided to have a month off which turned into two months which then turned into three months. During this time I did minimal training and more just exercising. 1st of July came around and I decided to get stuck back in and the motivation was starting to come back.

My training took an immediate nose dive when I was brought down during a group ride when the rider in front of me crashed on a set of railway tracks. With nowhere to go I did a full somersalt and took the entire impact on my right shoulder ending up with a broken collarbone. Five days later I was in for surgery to have a 5cm plate and nine screws put in.

I had plenty of support from family and friends and used this set back as even more motivation to get back into it. I had surgery on Thursday and the following Tuesday I was back on the wind trainer ticking the legs over. Withing a week I was able to get some solid riding done allbeit still on the windtrainer.

Three weeks post surgery I was given the all clear by the doc to attempt some running and from there my recovery came on in leaps and bounds. At four weeks, I was back in the pool just turning the arms over.

6 weeks after surgery I raced the Bridge to Brisbane 10km and with little running in my legs still managed to finish 30th overall in a time of 36:25. I was extremely happy with the result considering my lead up.

After watching IM Cairns on the net and getting the itch for another Ironman, I decided to sign up for IM Australia on May 4th in Port Macquarie where I will be toeing the start line with approximately 45 other Redcliffe Tri Club members so the lead up and race day should be an amazing time.

2 comments:

  1. what an awesome race to look forward to! What races are you doing for the rest of the season?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Bron. Yeah really looking forward to it. I am racing Noosa, Hervey Bay 100 and a few smaller local races between now and May.

    ReplyDelete